If you are using WordPress to manage your website, we would recommend adding the Yoast plugin to help manage the SEO on your website. Yoast provides a variety of SEO tools to help you optimise your website and really get your pages climbing up the rankings.
What can Yoast do for my website?
Managing your own SEO can be quite a daunting task if you’ve never done it before. Yoast provides a list of easy to implement steps to help you optimise the content on your website. It also provides an easy way to change and update parts of your website like SEO titles and meta descriptions, URLS, socials and loads of other really helpful tools. Yoast has a great article to read if you want more info – what does Yoast do?
Adding Yoast to your WordPress
The good news is that adding the Yoast plugin to your WordPress is a quick and easy job, all you need is access to the back end of your WordPress.
- Once you are logged in, hover your mouse over the ‘Plugins’ option in the left toolbar and then select ‘Add new’ – you can see the image below, highlighted in darker pink on the left.
- Next, you’ll want to find the ‘Yoast SEO’ plugin, use the search bar in the top right corner to find it easily!
- Click ‘Install now’ – we already have the plugin installed, so ours says ‘Active’ but the box will be in the same place for you.
- The last thing you need to do is activate the plugin. To do this, click on the ‘Installed plugins’ button that is just above the ‘Add New’ button we used earlier. Find the Yoast plugin in the list and click ‘Activate’. Easy as that, you are all set!
How to use the Yoast SEO plugin
Now you’re all set with the plugin installed, here are a few ways that you can use Yoast to give your SEO a boost.
- Now, when you edit a post in WordPress, when you scroll to the bottom of your content, you will see the box below (this is an example from one of our recent blog posts). If you put your keyword into the box highlighted, Yoast will then check your page and give you easy to implement suggestions to get it optimised for that keyword.
- Scroll down just past this box and you will see the ‘Google Preview’ box, this shows you what your page will look like on a Google results page and gives you the option to edit them. Another handy feature that gives you a bit more control over how people find your website (it’s a great opportunity to boost your SEO, get some keywords in there!).
- The last thing that we will show you about Yoast is its readability analysis tool. It will scan your content and give easy suggestions to improve its readability. As always with content, it’s important to remember that you are writing for humans, not for Google or SEO. Yoast’s readability analysis helps to make sure that your content is easy for your users to take in and understand.
- There are so many useful features that Yoast has to offer that we didn’t have time to list here. If you’re interested in learning more about Yoast and its features, you can read The beginner’s guide to Yoast SEO.
Hopefully you found this guide useful and are now ready to start optimising your content to really give your SEO a boost. But before you get started, it might be worth checking out our Best practice when blogging guide!
Or maybe you’re stuck with your SEO altogether? We get it, sometimes it feels like you’re going round in circles and you’re not getting anything out of it. Get in touch to discuss our Tech and SEO support plans and find a package that works for you and your business.